A truly essential guide for the many programmers writing - or thinking of writing - applications for the new generation of mobile devices
° Concisely lays out the principals and methods of good mobile software design, using concrete examples to back up the theory
° With the proliferation of smart mobile devices such as cell phones and PDAs, more and more programmers are building mobile applications
° With its emphasis on good engineering practices and design wisdon, this book will be valuable for years to come
Mobile devices have now become both much richer and much morewidespread - just look at the capabilities of the newest cell phones. At the sametime advances such as the .NET Compact Framework have opened the worldof application development for these devices to a much larger group ofpotential developers. Most of the material available to help traditionalapplication developers adapt to the very different world of mobile applications(including books) has focused on particular features sets of either thedevelopment tools or the devices. This is the first concise and practicalengineering book that lays out the principals and methods of good mobilesoftware design and uses concrete examples to back up the theaory. While thenumerous examples use the .NET Compact Framework, the general principalsdiscussed are valid for all mobile device development. This is a book which isdestined to be a well-respected guide to this growing field for years to come.
Download the Sample
Chapter related to this title.
2. Characteristics of Mobile Applications.
3. Design of the .NET Compact Framework.
4. How to Be Successful Developing Mobile Applications.
5. Our Friend, the State Machine.
6. Step 0: Before You Start, Decide on the Scope of Your Application.
7. Step 1: Start with Performance; Stay with Performance.
8. Performance and Memory Management.
9. Performance and Multithreading.
10. Performance and XML.
11. Graphics and User Interface Performance.
12. Performance Summary.
13. Step 2: Design the Right User Interface1.
14. Step3: Get Your Data Access Model Right.
15. Step4: Get Your Communications Model Right.
16. Step 5: Packaging and Deploying Your Mobile Application.
Appendix A: Additional Resources for the .NET Compact Framework.
Appendix B: Visual Basic .NET Samples.
Download the Index
file related to this title.