Need answers quickly? Windows 8 on Demand provides those answers in a visual step-by-step format. We will show you exactly what to do through lots of full color illustrations and easy-to-follow instructions.
Inside the Book
• Master the Windows 8 user experience
• Perform instant searches to find what you need
• Manage files and information with the Desktop and Windows apps
• Browse the Web, search for information, and get instant updates
• Use Windows apps to get news, finance, sports, travel, and weather
• Use Windows apps to work with mail, instant messages, contacts, photos, music, and videos
• Protect your device from Internet or network intruders
• Share files and media on a HomeGroup or network
• Set multiple users and parent controls
• Customize, fine-tune, and administer Windows 8
Bonus Online Content
Register your book at queondemand.com to gain access to:
• Workshops and related files
• Keyboard shortcuts
Visit the author site: perspection.com
Download the sample pages (includes Chapter 3 and Index)
1 Getting Started with Windows 8 1
Introducing Windows 8 2 New!
Starting Windows 8 3 New!
Using the Mouse or Gestures 4 New!
Exploring the Start Screen 6 New!
Using the Start Bar 8 New!
Using the Charm Bar 9 New!
Working with the Desktop 10 New!
Using the Desktop Taskbar 12 New!
Managing Desktop Windows 14
Using Tabs, Menus, and Toolbars 16
Choosing Dialog Box Options 17
Using Windows Help and Support 18 New!
Switching Users 20 New!
Powering Down 22
2 Working with Windows Metro Apps 23
Displaying All Your Apps 24 New!
Searching for Apps 26 New!
Using Different Apps 28 New!
Starting and Closing Apps 29 New!
Using the Apps Bar 30 New!
Changing Apps Settings 31 New!
Working with Multiple Apps 32 New!
Working with Apps Side by Side 33 New!
Sharing Between Apps 34 New!
Installing Apps from the Store 36 New!
Updating Apps 38 New!
Uninstalling Apps 39 New!
Customizing Apps on the Start Screen 40 New!
Grouping Apps on the Start Screen 42 New!
Setting Notification Options for Apps 44 New!
Setting Search Options for Apps 45 New!
Setting Privacy Options for Apps 46 New!
3 Managing Files and Folders in the Desktop 47
Using the Explorer Window 48 New!
Changing the Explorer Window View 49 New!
Using the Ribbon 50 New!
Choosing Commands 51 New!
Opening and Viewing the Computer 52
Viewing and Opening Documents 54
Working with Libraries 56
Working with Personal Folders 58
Navigating Between Folders 59
Viewing the Folders List 60
Changing the Explorer Layout 61
Customizing the Navigation Pane 62
Organizing Files by Headings 63
Sorting and Groupi