This hands-on guide to iOS development with Swift is designed to support programmers with all levels of experience, including those moving from Objective-C or other platforms, and those learning to program for the first time.
Whatever your experience, you'll learn hands-on, step-by-step, as you build a wide variety of practical iOS apps. If you're a beginner, modular chapter sidebars concisely introduce all the core programming concepts you'll need. If you're more experienced, these sections offer a helpful review, often including helpful comparisons with Objective-C and other languages — and they're designed to be easily "skippable" if you don't need them. You'll start by working on smaller "proof-of-concepts" apps in the earlier chapters of the book before moving on to working on a more extensive project in later chapters.
iOS programming instructor Randy Scovil guides you through:
Throughout, Scovil draws on his experience teaching iOS developers at all levels of experience. He anticipates and answers your most common questions, and guides you up the learning curve while consistently keeping you engaged with interesting and achievable tasks. The result: a powerful "success cycle" in which your growing skills reinforce your confidence and accelerate your progress. It's the "Swiftest" way to master Swift!
1. Getting Started
2. Introducing Swift and Playgrounds
3. View Controllers, UI Controls, and Storyboards
4. Making Your App Interactive
5. Using More Advanced UIControls
6. Navigation Controllers and Tab Bar Controllers
7. Table Views, Part I: The Basics
8. Table Views II: Advanced Topics
9. Collection Views
10. Getting Data via Web Services
11. Storing Data on Your Device
12. Storing Data in the Cloud
13. Scroll and Touch Events
14. Getting Starting with Custom Drawing
15. An Introduction to Game Development with SpriteKit
16. Deploying Your App to Test Devices and the App Store