Prepare students to meet Java programming challenges
- Rich coverage of programming fundamentals; real-world examples.
- Friendly early classes and objects presentation.
- Use easily with Java™ SE 8 and/or the new Java™ SE 9.
- Java SE 9 content is in easy-to-include-or-omit sections.
- Perfect for instructors who want to stay in Java SE 8 for a while and ease into Java SE 9.
- Perfect for instructors who want to add JShell (Java 9’s interactive Java) to their Java SE 8 or Java SE 9 courses.
- Signature live-code approach teaches programming by presenting the concepts in the context of complete working programs.
- The text’s modular organization is appropriate for introductory and intermediate programming courses, and helps instructors plan their syllabi.
- Comprehensive coverage of concepts and topics:
- Interactive Java through JShell–Java SE 9’s most exciting new pedagogic feature.
- Java 9 topics: Modularity (online), collection factory methods and other language and API enhancements.
- Lambdas, sequential and parallel streams, functional interfaces, immutability.
- JavaFX GUI, 2D and 3D graphics, animation and video.
- Composition vs. Inheritance, dynamic composition.
- Programming to an interface not an implementation.
- Files, input/output streams and XML serialization.
- Concurrency for optimal multi-core performance.
- Other topics: recursion, searching, sorting, generics, generic collections, data structures, optional Swing GUI, multithreading, database (JDBC ™ and JPA).
- Visit http://deitel.com/books/jhtp11 for reviewer testimonials, Preface, Table of Contents and Foreword.
- Access to the Companion Website (http://www.pearson.com/deitel) is available with the purchase of a new textbook and provides extra hands-on experience and study aids, including:
- Extensive VideoNotes allow students to view the problem-solving process outside of the classroom–when they need help the most. In the VideoNotes, co-author Paul Deitel patiently explains most of the programs in the book’s core chapters. Students like viewing the VideoNotes for reinforcement of core concepts and for further insights.
- Additional chapters and appendices for advanced courses.
- Evolving Java SE 9 content
- Source code for the book’s examples (also available at http://deitel.com/books/jhtp11).
Facilitate Learning with Outstanding Applied Pedagogy
- Programming Wisdom: Hundreds of valuable programming tips facilitate learning. Icons throughout the text identify Software Engineering Observations, Good Programming Practices, Common Programming Errors, Error-Prevention Tips, Portability Tips, Performance Tips, and Look-and-Feel Observations (for GUI design). These represent the best the authors have gleaned from a combined nine decades of programming and teaching experience.
- Hundreds of self-review exercises with answers.
- Hundreds of interesting real-world exercises and projects enable students to apply what they've learned in each chapter (Instructor Solutions Manual contains answers for most).
- “Making a Difference” exercises encourage students to use computers and the Internet to research and address significant social problems.
- Most of the programming exercises are titled to help instructors select the most appropriate exercises for homework assignments.
Also Available with MyLab Programming.
MyLab™ Programmingis an online learning system designed to engage students and improve results. MyLab Programming consists of a set of programming exercises correlated to the programming concepts in this book. Through hundreds of practice problems, the system automatically detects errors in the logic and syntax of their code submissions and offers targeted hints that enable students to figure out what went wrong—and why.
MyLab Programming improves the programming competence of beginning students who often struggle with the basic concepts and paradigms of popular high-level programming languages. For instructors, a comprehensive gradebook tracks correct and incorrect answers and stores the code inputted by students for review.
- UPDATED! User Interface provides a new streamlined interface based on experienced user feedback. Course creation, configuration, and navigation are now easier than ever.
- EXPANDED! Exercise Editor now allows you to easily create new programming exercises. In addition to assigning the hundreds of programming exercises already available in
MyLab Programming, you can create and assign programming exercises to customize your course.
- UPDATED! VideoNotes Tutorials provide step-by-step video tutorials specifically designed to enhance the programming concepts presented in Introduction to Java Programming. Students can view the entire problem-solving process outside of the classroom–when they need help the most.
- Interactive Practice provides first-hand programming experience in an interactive online environment.
- Immediate feedback for incorrect answers give students personalized feedback differentiating logical and compiler errors . The error messages include both the feedback from the compiler and plain English interpretations of likely causes for the incorrect answer.
- NEW! The Plagiarism Detection Tool alerts instructors of potential plagiarism issues by checking:
- Students’ average submission rate
- Students’ average number of attempts until correct
- Pearson eText gives students access to their textbook anytime, anywhere. In addition to note taking, highlighting, and bookmarking, the Pearson eText offers interactive and sharing features. Rich media options let students watch lecture and example videos as they read or do their homework. Instructors can share their comments or highlights, and students can add their own, creating a tight community of learners in your class.
- The Pearson eText companion app allows existing subscribers to access their titles on an iPad or Android tablet for either online or offline viewing.
- Dynamic grading and assessment provide auto-grading of student assignments, saving you time and offering students immediate learning opportunities:
- A dynamic roster tracks their performance and maintains a record of submissions.
- The color-coded gradebook gives you a quick glance of your classes' progress. Easily drill down to receive information on a single student's performance or a specific problem. Gradebook results can be exported to Excel to use with your LMS.
- Copyright 2018
- Edition: 11th
- ISBN-10: 0-13-480027-3
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-480027-1
NOTE: Before purchasing, check with your instructor to ensure you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of MyLab™ Programmingexist for each title, and registrations are not transferable. To register for and use MyLab Programming, you may also need a Course ID, which your instructor will provide.
Used books, rentals, and purchases made outside of Pearson
If purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson, the access codes for MyLab Programming may not be included, may be incorrect, or may be previously redeemed. Check with the seller before completing your purchase.
For courses in Java programming
This package includes MyLab™ Programming.
Unparalleled breadth and depth of object-oriented programming concepts
The Deitels’ groundbreaking How to Program series offers unparalleled breadth and depth of programming fundamentals, object-oriented programming concepts and intermediate-level topics for further study. Java How to Program, Early Objects, 11th Edition, presents leading-edge computing technologies using the Deitel signature live-code approach, which demonstrates concepts in hundreds of complete working programs. The 11th Edition presents updated coverage of Java SE 8 and new Java SE 9 capabilities, including JShell, the Java Module System, and other key Java 9 topics. [Java How to Program, Late Objects, 11th Edition also is available.]
Personalize learning with MyLab Programming.
MyLab™ Programming is an online learning system designed to engage students and improve results. MyLab Programming consists of a set of programming exercises correlated to the programming concepts in this book. Through hundreds of practice problems, the system automatically detects errors in the logic and syntax of their code submissions and offers targeted hints that enable students to figure out what went wrong—and why. MyLab Programming improves the programming competence of beginning students who often struggle with the basic concepts and paradigms of popular high-level programming languages. For instructors, a comprehensive gradebook tracks correct and incorrect answers and stores the code inputted by students for review.
0134800273 / 9780134800271 Java How to Program, Early Objects Plus MyLab Programming with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package, 11/e
Package consists of:
0134743350 / 9780134743356 Java How to Program, Early Objects
0134752120 / 9780134752129
MyLab Programming with Pearson eText -- Access Code Card -- for Java How to Program, Early Objects
Students can use the URL and phone number below to help answer their questions: