Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Covers iOS 9.1 and up, Xcode 7.x, iPhone, iPad, and More!
In just 24 sessions of one hour each, learn how to build powerful applications for today’s hottest handheld devices: the iPhone and iPad! Using this book’s straightforward, step-by-step approach, you’ll master every skill and technology you need, from setting up your iOS development environment to building great user interfaces, sensing motion to writing multitasking applications. Each lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success!
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common iOS development tasks.
Quizzes and Exercises help you test your knowledge.
Notes present interesting information related to the discussion.
Tips show you easier ways to perform tasks.
Cautions alert you to possible problems and give you advice on how to avoid them.
Printed in full color—figures and code appear as they do in Xcode 7.x
• Learn to navigate the Xcode 7.x development environment and install apps on your iDevice
• Get started quickly with Apple’s Open Source language: Swift 2.0
• Test code and application logic using the iOS Playground
• Understand the Model-View-Controller (MVC) development pattern
• Visually design and code interfaces using Xcode Storyboards, Segues, Exits, Image Slicing, and the iOS Object Library
• Use Auto Layout and Size Classes to adapt to different screen sizes and orientations
• Build advanced UIs with Tables, Split Views, Navigation Controllers, and more
• Read and write preferences and data, and create System Settings plug-ins
• Use iOS media playback and recording capabilities
• Take photos and manipulate graphics with Core Image
• Sense motion, orientation, and location with the accelerometer, gyroscope, and GPS
• Use 3D touch to add Peek, Pop, and Quick Actions to your apps
• Integrate online services using Twitter, Facebook, Email, Web Views, and Apple Maps
• Create universal applications that run on both the iPhone and iPad
• Write background-aware multitasking applications
• Trace, debug, and monitor applications as they run
• Additional files and updates available online
Download free code files.
Download Appendix A: Introducing Xcode Source Control.
Download the sample pages (includes Chapter 5 and Index)
Who Can Become an iOS Developer? 2
Who Should Use This Book? 2
What Is (and Isn’t) in This Book? 3
Hour 1: Preparing Your System and iDevice for Development 5
Welcome to the iOS 5
Becoming an iOS Developer 10
Running an iOS App 15
Developer Technology Overview 22
Further Exploration 24
Hour 2: Introduction to Xcode and the iOS Simulator 29
Using Xcode 29
Using the iOS Simulator 61
Further Exploration 69
Hour 3: Discovering Swift and the iOS Playground 73
Object-Oriented Programming and Swift 73
The Terminology of Object-Oriented Development 75
Exploring the Swift File Structure 78
Swift Programming Basics 84
Memory Management and Automatic Reference Counting 110
Introducing the iOS Playground 111
Further Exploration 118
Hour 4: Inside Cocoa Touch 123
What Is Cocoa Touch? 123
Exploring the iOS Technology Layers 125
Tracing the iOS Application Life Cycle 132
Cocoa Fundamentals 134
Exploring the iOS Frameworks with Xcode 142
Further Exploration 149
Hour 5: Exploring Interface Builder 155
Understanding Interface Builder 155
Creating User Interfaces 162
Customizing the Interface Appearance 172
Connecting to Code 178
Further Exploration 188
Hour 6: Model-View-Controller Application Design 193
Understanding the MVC Design Pattern 193
How Xcode Implements MVC 195
Using the Single View Application Template 200
Further Exploration 218
Hour 7: Working with Text, Keyboards, and Buttons 223
Basic User Input and Output 223
Using Text Fields, Text Views, and Buttons 225
Further Exploration 253
Hour 8: Handling Images, Animation, Sliders, and Steppers