Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Bioprocess Engineering: Basic Concepts, 2nd Edition
- Your Price: $136.00
- List Price: $160.00
- Usually ships in 24 hours.
- Copyright 2002
- Dimensions: K
- Pages: 576
- Edition: 2nd
- ISBN-10: 0-13-081908-5
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-081908-6
The complete, fully updated introduction to biochemical and bioprocess engineering.
Bioprocess Engineering, Second Edition is a comprehensive update of the world's leading introductory textbook on biochemical and bioprocess engineering. Drs. Michael L. Shuler and Fikret Kargi review the relevant fundamentals of biochemistry, microbiology, and molecular biology, introducing key principles that enable bioprocess engineers to achieve consistent control over biological activity. This edition reflects powerful advances that are transforming the field, ranging from genetic sequencing to new techniques for producing proteins from recombinant DNA. It introduces techniques with broad application to the production of pharmaceuticals, biologics, and commodities; to medical applications such as tissue engineering and gene therapy; and for solving critical environmental problems. This new edition includes:
- Essential biological basics: microorganism structure and functions, major metabolic pathways, enzymes, microbial genetics, kinetics, and stoichiometry of growth
- New coverage of posttranslational processing of proteins-an essential technique for manufacturing therapeutic proteins
- In-depth coverage of animal cell culture processes
- New coverage of noncarbohydrate metabolism
- Functional genomics and cellular engineering: concepts, techniques, and applications
- Applying bioprocess engineering approaches to biomedical applications
- Nonconventional biological systems applications, including host-vector systems for producing proteins from recombinant DNA
- Extensive coverage of mixed cultures, including advanced wastewater treatment processes
- Expanded coverage of modeling, including models in continuous cultures and cybernetic modeling
- How the rapidly evolving governmental regulatory environment constrains bioprocess design and modification
Bioprocess Engineering, Second Edition makes extensive use of illustrations, examples, and problems, and contains extensive references for further reading as well as a detailed appendix describing traditional bioprocesses.
ONE MONTH ACCESS!
Get unlimited 30-day access to thousands of Books & Training Videos about technology, professional development and digital media If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months.
- Request an Instructor or Media review copy.
- Corporate, Academic, and Employee Purchases
- International Buying Options
Other Things You Might Like
- Process Control: Modeling, Design and Simulation
- Book $136.00
- Techniques of Model-Based Control
- Book $105.40