Software Development & Management
This chapter is from the book
- Define decouple and abstraction.
- How is implementation defined in the context of the Bridge pattern?
- What are the basic elements of a sequence diagram?
- What is Alexander’s view of how to use patterns? Does he advocate starting with the solution first or the problem to be solved first?
- What does commonality analysis seek to identify? What does variability analysis seek to identify?
- What is the basic problem being solved by the Bridge pattern?
- Define the “one rule, one place” strategy.
- What are the consequences of the Bridge pattern?
- The Gang of Four says that the intent of the Bridge pattern is to “decouple an abstraction from its implementation so that the two can vary independently.”
Why can tight coupling lead to an explosion in the number of classes?
- What does this mean?
- Give an example.
Opinions and Applications
- “Look at objects in terms of their responsibilities rather than their behaviors.” How does this affect your view of the use of inheritance in an object-oriented system?
- Why do you think the Gang of Four call this pattern “Bridge”? Is it an appropriate name for what it is doing? Why or why not?