This chapter is from the book
Why can tight coupling lead to an explosion in the number of classes?
- Define decouple and abstraction.
- How is implementation defined in the context of the Bridge pattern?
- What are the basic elements of a sequence diagram?
- What is Alexander’s view of how to use patterns? Does he advocate starting with the solution first or the problem to be solved first?
- What does commonality analysis seek to identify? What does variability analysis seek to identify?
- What is the basic problem being solved by the Bridge pattern?
- Define the “one rule, one place” strategy.
- What are the consequences of the Bridge pattern?
- The Gang of Four says that the intent of the Bridge pattern is to “decouple an abstraction from its implementation so that the two can vary independently.”
- What does this mean?
- Give an example.
Opinions and Applications
- “Look at objects in terms of their responsibilities rather than their behaviors.” How does this affect your view of the use of inheritance in an object-oriented system?
- Why do you think the Gang of Four call this pattern “Bridge”? Is it an appropriate name for what it is doing? Why or why not?