- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Opening and Viewing the Computer
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Opening Recently Used Documents
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Performing an Instant Search
- Performing an Advanced Search
- Performing Natural Language Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
WINV-4.2.1, WINV-4.2.2, WINV-4.6.3
The keys to organizing files and folders effectively within a hierarchy are to store related items together and to name folders informatively. Creating a new folder can help you organize and keep track of files and other folders. In order to create a folder, you select the location where you want the new folder, create the folder, and then lastly, name the folder. You should name each folder meaningfully so that just by reading the folder’s name you know its contents. After you name a folder or file, you can rename it at any time.
Create a Folder
- Open the drive or folder where you want to create a folder.
- Click the Organize button on the toolbar, and then click New Folder.
With the New Folder name selected, type a new name.
- Press Enter.
Rename a File or Folder
- Click the file or folder to select it.
Click the Organize button on the toolbar, and then click Rename.
With the name selected, type a new name, or click to position the insertion point, and then edit the name.
- Press Enter.