Stephen B. Morris draws a comparison between two approaches to ORM-centric database development. One is based on the Python SQLAlchemy ORM tools, and the other uses standard Java JPA. Which is better? The result of comparing a simple use case for both languages is quite surprising.
- Background Tasks in Windows 8.1
- Windows Store apps are designed to remain alive and connected even when they are not running. Your app may need to fetch data from a remote server, download large files in the background, scan the file system for changes, or connect with a web service to retrieve updates while the user is performing other tasks. Fortunately, the Windows Runtime (WinRT) provides a mechanism referred to as background tasks that provides this functionality. In this article, Microsoft MVP for Silverlight Jeremy Likness shows you the variety of tasks that are available from updating information on the lock screen, raising alerts from incoming messages, to playing audio in the background and receiving data only when the connection is not metered.
- Service-Orientation Principles with Java Web-Based Services
- This chapter visits each of the eight service-orientation principles in depth to highlight considerations specific to design and development with Java.
- Introduction to "SOA with Java"
- Thomas Erl et al. describe the objectives and organization of their book, SOA with Java: Realizing Service-Orientation with Java Technologies, explain who the book is for, and what is not actually covered.
- iOS Developer's Cookbook: Sprite Kit Label Shadows
- Let your Sprite Kit labels pop by automatically adding shadows. Shadow node children add contrast and visibility.
- Organizational Culture Considerations with Agile
- The organizational culture impacts to an Agile transformation are profound. Successful implementations need support from the team members, management, and executives to embrace new ways of completing work and collaborating. Every role in the organization will be affected in some way, and by understanding what is different and what drives success in each role, we are better positioned for the increase in productivity, responsiveness, and customer satisfaction that can be delivered by becoming Agile.
- The IT List: What You Missed This Week on InformIT [7/25/14]
With today's "connected life" running 24/7, we recognize it's hard to keep up with all your favorite websites and tech resources. The IT List is here to help you cut through the noise. Check back each Friday for a quick digest of articles, resources, promotions, and other goodies worth a first or second look on InformIT.
- Why Open Source Matters: Musings from OSCON
With OSCON taking place in Oregon from 7/20/2014 – 7/24/2014, the Open Source community will come together to discuss everything new in the Open Source world. From OSS to Java, Python to PHP, Cloud Computing to Perl and emerging programming languages to mobile platforms, the Open Source community has a lot to chat about.
This said, I wanted to take the time to discuss why the Open Source initiative matters by highlighting a few key elements of the protocol which help to make it so powerful.
- Business & Management
- Cloud Computing & Virtualization
- Graphics & Web Design
- Home & Office Computing
- Information Technology
- Mobile Application Development & Programming
- Open Source
- Operating Systems, Server
- Process Improvement
- Software Development & Management
- Web Development
- Web Services
Who is InformIT
We are the online presence for the world's leading technology publishers and your source for reliable and qualified content to help you do your job better.
- Addison-Wesley Professional
- Cisco Press
- IBM Press
- Pearson IT Certification
- Prentice Hall Professional
- Sams Publishing
- VMware Press
- Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
- Sale Price: $19.99
- You Save 58%
- Learn More
Take advantage of special member promotions, everyday discounts, quick access to saved content, and more!