Increasingly, compiler writers are taking advantage of undefined behaviors in the C and C++ programming languages to improve optimizations. Frequently, these optimizations are interfering with the ability of developers to perform cause-effect analysis on their source code—that is, analyzing the dependence of downstream results on prior results. Expert programmer Robert C. Seacord, author of Secure Coding in C and C++, Second Edition, shows how these optimizations are eliminating causality in software and are increasing the probability of software faults, defects, and vulnerabilities.
- Preface to "Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams, Third Edition"
- Tom DeMarco and Tim Lister describe the evolution of their idea that the solution to many of the problems facing software engineering teams wasn't technological - it was sociological. From its genesis during an overnight flight to Sydney to the latest empirical studies, the third edition of Peopleware continues to expand and build upon their original premise that technology is not always the solution to managerial problems.
- Using Threads within a UNIX Process
- This chapter, from Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, 3rd Edition, looks inside a UNIX process to see how multiple threads can be used to perform multiple tasks within the environment of a single process.
- A C++ Reading List by John Lakos
- John Lakos, author of Large-Scale C++ Software Design and senior architect and Bloomberg LP, shares his list of favorite resources for C++ software engineers.
- Preface to Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice, 3rd Edition
- The authors of Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice introduce the long-anticipated third edition of their well regarded textbook.
- Situational Influence: A New Marketing Model for a New Era
- This chapter lays the foundation for an influence marketing blueprint that demonstrates how the practice of influence marketing may return to driving measurable sales instead of just broad brand awareness.
- Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
- Kenny Rubin discusses key topics from his latest book, Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process.
- Essential Scrum: Change Management Requirements in Agile VS Traditional
- Kenny Rubin presents a tip on change management requirements in Agile VS Traditional, from his book, Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process.
- Essential Scrum: Product Backlog Grooming
- Kenny Rubin shares his thoughts on product backlog grooming, from his latest book, Essential Scrum.
- The Laid Off IT Guy! Mentoring Future IT Employees
I have benefitted my entire career from mentoring. I have also helped young men and women looking to get started in the career of Information Technology by mentoring them. When I have had the pleasure of that opportunity I like to explain that I believe that IT today is broken down into four categories.
- The Laid Off IT Guy! Be a Lifelong Learner
I suppose that there are those that believe that they learned everything that they needed to know in life in high school or college. I tend to think that you make yourself a more well-rounded individual by continually updating your professional education by attending seminars, reading books and taking classes. One of my goals is to be a lifelong learner.
- Business & Management
- Cloud Computing & Virtualization
- Graphics & Web Design
- Home & Office Computing
- Information Technology
- Mobile Application Development & Programming
- Open Source
- Operating Systems, Server
- Process Improvement
- Software Development & Management
- Web Development
- Web Services
Who is InformIT
We are the online presence for the world's leading technology publishers and your source for reliable and qualified content to help you do your job better.
- Addison-Wesley Professional
- Cisco Press
- IBM Press
- Pearson IT Certification
- Prentice Hall Professional
- Sams Publishing
- VMware Press
- C# 2010 Fundamentals I, II, and III LiveLessons (Video Training)
- Sale Price: $124.99
- You Save 50%
- Learn More
Take advantage of special member promotions, everyday discounts, quick access to saved content, and more!