- CCIE Security v4.0 Quick Reference: Application and Infrastructure Security
- This chapter from CCIE Security v4.0 Quick Reference, 3rd Edition covers HTTP, HTTPS, Simple Mail Transfer, Protocol, File Transfer Protocol, Domain Name System, and Trivial File Transfer Protocol.
- Hit the Ground Running with MongoDB and Python
- Stephen B. Morris describes how to get started with MongoDB and Python. As usual with Python, you can get productive quickly, without worrying about complex IDEs. MongoDB has a simple data model and easy-to-understand semantics, giving you a handy on-ramp to this interesting technology.
- Create Your First Arduino Program
- Write your first program and watch it work! In this excerpt from Arduino Programming in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself, learn how to use the Arduino IDE software package to create, compile, and upload an Arduino program. You then learn how to interface your Arduino with external electronic circuits to complete your Arduino projects.
- Migrating Users and Applications to Windows 8.1
- Learn how to migrate users and their profiles to Windows 8.1, configure folder redirection, and configure profiles in this chapter from MCSA 70-687 Cert Guide: Configuring Microsoft Windows 8.1.
- Google On Air Live Hangout with the Father of C++ Bjarne Stroustrup
On August 20th, the father of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup led a Google On-Air Live Hangout event in which he talked about everything C++. The event was sponsored by InformIT, Pearson Education and the Google + C Plus Plus Community.
- The CAPTCHA: A History, A Problem, Possible Solutions
Everyone, every online user, at some point in time (most probably during a purchase) has outwardly professed "COME ON!" when trying and failing to enter a CAPTCHA.
There is an old Ellen Degeneres joke which dryly states whoever is in charge of CD packaging must be sarcastically mean. Personally, this is how I feel about the inventor and users of the CAPTCHA.
Where did the CAPTCHA go wrong? How did it start with the best intentions of hackers and grow into a security solution almost guaranteed to cause cart abandonment? Why does the CAPTCHA make me/us so mad? Why hasn't something else come along to replace the CAPTCHA yet?
In this post, we explore the history of the CAPTCHA, noted issues with the bot/spam tech and possible alternatives.
- Business & Management
- Cloud Computing & Virtualization
- Graphics & Web Design
- Home & Office Computing
- Information Technology
- Mobile Application Development & Programming
- Open Source
- Operating Systems, Server
- Process Improvement
- Software Development & Management
- Web Development
- Web Services
Who is InformIT
We are the online presence for the world's leading technology publishers and your source for reliable and qualified content to help you do your job better.
- Addison-Wesley Professional
- Cisco Press
- IBM Press
- Pearson IT Certification
- Prentice Hall Professional
- Sams Publishing
- VMware Press
- Microsoft SharePoint 2013 Administration Inside Out
- Sale Price: $19.99
- You Save 50%
- Learn More
- Game Development Essentials with Unity 4 LiveLessons
- Sale Price: $59.99
- You Save 60%
- Learn More
Take advantage of special member promotions, everyday discounts, quick access to saved content, and more!