- Accessing Shared Atomic Objects from within a Signal Handler in C
- Robert C. Seacord, author of Secure Coding in C and C++, Second Edition, describes how accessing shared objects in signal handlers can result in race conditions that can leave data in an inconsistent state. Historically, the only conforming way to access a shared object from a signal handler was to read from or write to variables of type volatile sig_atomic_t. With the advent of C11, atomics are now a better choice for accessing shared objects in signal handlers.
- Five Interaction Design Tips for Your Mobile App
- Apps for mobile platforms might seem simple, but they're far from it. Programs that run on smartphones and tablets have their own style and rules, which are far different from the protocols and techniques established on their desktop computer ancestors. Cameron Banga and Josh Weinhold share five tips for perfecting your app designs in ways that will help you meet or exceed your users' expectations.
- Introduction to Inventory Management: Principles and Strategies for the Efficient Flow of Inventory across the Supply Chain
- Inventory is a fundamental measure of the overall health of supply chain and logistics activities. The authors of The Definitive Guide to Inventory Management discuss what inventory is, the role of inventory in supply chain management, and why inventory is such an important metric in supply chain management.
- First Sketches of an App
- In this chapter you’ll find a general strategic outlay for planning the design of a mobile application. Using the steps and techniques presented, you’ll be prepared for the different phases a design evolves through during its infancy, before a programmer writes the first lines of code.
- Java SE 8's New Language Features, Part 2: Predefined Functional Interfaces, Method References, and More
- Java 8 has significantly evolved the Java language by adding support for default and static methods to interfaces, by introducing lambda expressions and functional interfaces, and more. In Part 2 of a two-part series on Java 8 language features, Jeff Friesen introduces you to predefined functional interfaces, method references, enhanced generic type inference, and type annotations.
- Heartbleed? You're too late.
Traenk offers a friendly reminder that this is shape of things to come...
- The IT List: What You Missed This Week on InformIT [4/4/14]
- With today's "connected life" running 24/7, we recognize it's hard to keep up with all your favorite websites and tech resources. The IT List is here to help you cut through the noise. Check back each Friday for a quick digest of articles, resources, promotions, and other goodies worth a first or second look on InformIT.
- Business & Management
- Cloud Computing & Virtualization
- Graphics & Web Design
- Home & Office Computing
- Information Technology
- Mobile Application Development & Programming
- Open Source
- Operating Systems, Server
- Process Improvement
- Software Development & Management
- Web Development
- Web Services
Who is InformIT
We are the online presence for the world's leading technology publishers and your source for reliable and qualified content to help you do your job better.
- Addison-Wesley Professional
- Cisco Press
- IBM Press
- Pearson IT Certification
- Prentice Hall Professional
- Sams Publishing
- VMware Press
Take advantage of special member promotions, everyday discounts, quick access to saved content, and more!