What can you learn from my experience? Here are several key points that I hope you’ll take away from this article:
- You can learn and apply Agile methodologies at the same time.
- Agile values and principles can be applied the moment you learn them, without formally adopting an Agile project management methodology such as Scrum or XP.
- Applying Agile values and principles can have an immediate, positive effect on struggling projects.
- Agile practices should be chosen and adopted based on the most important needs of the project team.
- Pitching Agile project management methodologies to management is easier once the Agile practices have already demonstrated value by making it easier to deliver working software.
David Christiansen manages projects for a Fortune 500 company in Indianapolis, Indiana. He is also the author of Information Technology Dark Side, a corporate IT career guide.