- Who You Gonna Call?
- Too Many Versions and Patches
- Office Knows Best
- No Attachments or Links in Outlook Email
- Macro SecurityReferences and Security
- Frames Around Inserted Images and Diagrams
- Cant Send More Than One Message to Junk Mail
- Cant Move Customized Toolbars to Another Computer
- Wheres My Stuff?
- Office Wizards Promise to Save Settings but May Not
- Email Setup Is Too Complex
- No Easy Synchronicity
11. Email Setup Is Too Complex
This one is hard to pinpoint and blame, because sometimes it’s really the ISP. But has your email ever suddenly from one minute to the next stopped either sending or receiving for no apparent reason?
The fact is that email providers change their settings and sometimes don’t let you know. If you use Outlook for email, getting into those settings and understanding what they’re about is a real challenge.
Because your Outlook is connected to your Windows Mail and possibly to Exchange Server (see the next section), monkeying around with email is a scary proposition.
You know that one little factor and throw it out of sorts. I have Yahoo mail, Earthlink, a DSL provider, and Outlook. When things go wrong, figuring out whom to call, much less solving the problem, is a cruel proposition. Of course, they’re all located overseas in one country, so that might make it easier.
Earthlink recently decided to change the port settings in the Advanced tab after I’d had a few glasses of Cabernet. Needless to say, I could not send any email for some time.