Add a New Schema to the Library
Before you can attach a schema, Word needs to be able to find the schema file. To make the process simple, we'll add the XML schema to Word's schema library, which will make this new schema available for you to use with any document in your profile.
- Open Word. On the Tools menu, click Templates and Add-Ins. In the Templates and Add-ins dialog box, click the XML Schema tab.
- Click the Schema Library button, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1 XML Schema tab.
- Click Add Schema. In the Files of Type field, make sure that XML Schemas is selected.
- Navigate to the location where you downloaded your schema and double-click the CatalogSchema.xsd file.
- In the Alias field, type a simple name for your schema. For this example,
let's use "Herb Catalog," as shown in Figure 2. The alias will
help you to recognize this schema among the many you might decide to create, now
that you've learned how cool schemas can be. Keep your aliases short,
descriptive, and easy to recognize.
Figure 2 Schema settings showing the alias.
- Click OK twice to close two of the dialog boxes. Notice that the schema Herb
Catalog has been added to your list of available XML schemas, as shown in Figure
Figure 3 The new schema appears in the list.
There are a few points to keep in mind here. Adding a schema to your schema library keeps it ready for use in the same way that adding a paperback to your bedside table offers convenience for bedtime reading. On the other hand, there are a few more considerations to a handy schema than to your dog-eared copy of War and Peace.
For one thing, Tolstoy isn't going to send you an update. If he did, you would have two versions of the same paperback, which would be confusing. Word doesn't allow that sort of thing. So one day in the future, when someone sends you an update to your XSD file (or when you decide to go into the schema file yourself, make a change, and reattach it), you'll need to go back to the schema library and delete the original first. Of course, if you forget this useful piece of advice, there's no worry. Word will give you an error message to remind you.