- Application Servers Aren't Difficul
- Application Servers Are Software Platforms
- Application Servers Are Component-Based
- Application Servers Provide Software Interoperability
- Application Servers Have High Levels of Abstraction
- J2EE Is Separate and Distinct from Sun's Application Server
- Application Servers: A Window on the Future of Software
Don't be afraid of application server technology! Even pretty inexpensive PCs can host advanced software suites such as Sun's J2EE with its application server product. Or you can go open source if you want. The important point is that this technology is both increasingly popular as well as being easily accessible.
By using it, you will learn about the major trends sweeping through the software engineering culture and you'll also see the product results of some important work. Everyone is talking about Web services, but there's nothing quite like using and building your own examples! The same is true for Enterprise JavaBeans, Servlets, and the other J2EE technologies. It's fairly easy to do it all using free evaluation copies of J2EE and allied products.