- A Brief History of DB2
- DB2 software and the IBM E-Business On-Demand Model
- DB2 UDB Editions
- DB2 UDB Clients
- "Try and Buy" Versions
- Host Connectivity
- Federated Support
- Replication Support
- IBM DB2 Information Integrator
- Special Package Offerings for Developers
- DB2 Syntax Diagram Conventions
- Case Study
- Review Questions
1.6 Host Connectivity
DB2 Connect is the software product containing the licensed files required to communicate from a DB2 distributed client, also known as the DRDA Application Requester, to a host DB2 server, a DRDA Application Server. (DRDA&8212;Distributed Relational Database Architecture&8212;is the standard that defines formats and protocols for providing transparent access to remote data.) Host DB2 servers include DB2 UDB for z/OS and OS/390, DB2 UDB for VM/VSE, and DB2 UDB for iSeries. DB2 Connect also includes a DB2 runtime client.
As indicated earlier, if you install DB2 UDB ESE there is no need to install DB2 Connect since DB2 UDB ESE comes with a DB2 Connect component.
DB2 Connect comes in two main flavors.
- The Personal Edition supports the direct connection of one DB2 client to multiple host DB2 servers.
- The Enterprise Edition supports the connection of multiple DB2 clients to multiple host DB2 servers via a DB2 Connect server.