- Introduction to the Second Edition
- Who Should Read This Book?
- How This Book Is Organized
- What Are You Protecting?
- Who Are Your Enemies?
- What They Hope to Accomplish
- Costs: Protection versus Break-Ins
- Protecting Hardware
- Protecting Network and Modem Access
- Protecting System Access
- Protecting Files
- Preparing for and Detecting an Intrusion
- Recovering from an Intrusion
1.7 Costs: Protection versus Break-Ins
Many people do not realize the cost of being cracked: lost customers, stolen merchandise, bad publicity, loss of human life, etc. These costs can be calculated and the cost of protection may be calculated too.
This book covers how to calculate the cost of protection versus the cost of break-ins, how to prevent most break-ins, and how to prepare for break-ins and how to recover from break-ins quickly, sometimes within a few minutes. You will not need to be down for the days at a time that eBay.com, The White House, and many other high-profile sites have been down for.