Home > Articles > Graphics & Web Design > Photoshop & Adobe

  • Print
  • + Share This
This chapter is from the book


  1. How can I remove my ex-husband from a group shot of the family? He's right in front.

  1. Perhaps you can find some other face the right size and colors to hide him. (Brad Pitt, perhaps?) Adjust the size and position of the new face on a separate layer. Blur the face you want to hide and use the Layers palette's Opacity slider to bring in the replacement. If you leave it at about 80%, it should merge right in.

  1. Printing these old photos on plain paper just doesn't look right. What should I use?

  1. If you want to duplicate the look of the original photo printed on glossy paper, invest in a package of glossy photo-quality paper for your inkjet printer. If the photo was originally printed on a matte surface stock, try printing on card stock.

  1. Okay, I've retouched all the old family photos. What do I do now?

  1. The next logical step is to buy a package of photo-quality glossy paper and print them out as photos. Kodak, HP, and Epson all sell glossy paper for inkjet printers. It's about the same weight as photo paper, and it makes your pictures look really good. If you don't have a reasonably good color printer, take your photos to a service bureau and have them printed

    Be sure to save the files for future use, too. CD-ROMs and Zip disks can hold several generations of family photos and can be stored in very little space. If you keep a backup copy in a safe place, such as a bank safe deposit box, your precious family history is fire- and flood-proof. You can also place a family album on your Web page, so distant relatives and friends can see how the kids have grown.

  • + Share This
  • 🔖 Save To Your Account