- Making Corporate Darwinism Fairer
- Acceleration Pools are 21st century programs
- Less paper, time, and bureaucracy
- A better use of time—no additional top-management time required for making job or development assignments
- Acceleration Centers improve the accuracy of the development needs diagnosis and are perceived as fair
- Development, job, and organizational success are linked
- Acceleration Pools build skills and confidence
- Support is available
- Emphasis is on changing behavior—and proving it
- Managers' and mentors' roles and responsibilities are clear
- Top management (finally) has accurate, timely information for key appointments
- Acceleration Pool System Advantages
Acceleration Pool System Advantages
Overall, we believe that the Acceleration Pool approach is more effective than traditional replacement-management systems and that it provides a wide range of advantages by comparison. These advantages can be summed up as:
Faster and simpler.
More focused on development.
Higher level of involvement and buy-in from pool members and managers/mentors alike.
Greater integrity and fairness (more open approach, less "old-boy network").
More flexiblethe system takes the individual's needs into account.
More focused on retaining people, as opposed to simply placing them.
Linked to business plans and strategies.
This chapter has outlined the Acceleration Pool approachhow and why it works. But there are many variations and nuances that need to be understood to transfer the concept to a specific organization. The rest of this book explores Acceleration Pools in greater detail.