Search and You Will Find
If you already know the name of the Apple Watch app you’re looking for, or there’s a type of app you need, tap on the Search icon that’s displayed in the bottom-right corner of the Apple Watch app on the iPhone.
Every day, app developers from around the world are releasing new Apple Watch apps via the Apple Watch app store. Some of these apps are free, while others cost money. To find these apps, you have several options, including:
- Tap on the Featured icon at the bottom of the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and then tap on the Categories option that’s displayed in the top left corner. Tap on an app category, such as Business, News, or Travel, and then view all of the available apps that fit into that category. Tap on an app listing to learn more about it, purchase the app (if applicable), and install it onto your watch wirelessly via the iPhone.
- Tap on the Search icon at the bottom of the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, and then type the specific name of the app you’re looking for.
- Tap on the Search icon, and then enter the type of app you’re looking for. For example, if you’re looking for an Apple Watch app to help you with navigation, type the word “navigation” into the Search field. To find food-related apps, use the search word “food” within the Search field.
10 Apps That Can Change How You Manage Your Daily Life
The Apple Watch is much more than a cool gadget that’s worn on your wrist and that tells time. When used with the right collection of apps that fit into your daily routine and lifestyle, the Apple Watch can help you become more organized and productive, provide you with valuable information, and assist you in communicating more efficiently. It can also serve as a feature-packed health and fitness tool. Plus, if you have a questions, simply activate Siri by moving your wrist so you’re looking at the watchface, and say, “Hey Siri,” to activate this voice-controlled feature, and then ask your question, state your command, or issue your request.
As you’re getting accustomed to having this powerful new tool on your wrist, consider installing any or all of these 10 optional, third-party apps (listed in alphabetical order) to help you expand the capabilities of your smart watch:
- Amazon (Free) - Wherever you are, if there’s something you need to purchase and your iPhone/Apple Watch has Internet access, you can quickly find and order it directly from your watch. This app is particularly useful if you’re an Amazon Prime subscriber, which means that most of your purchases are shipped directly to you via two-day shipping, for free. Upon launching this app, simply tap on the magnifying glass icon, and say what you’re looking for. In Figure 3, a search for “Apple Watch Accessories,” was initiated. Search results are displayed on the screen, complete with product photos, text-based descriptions, and star-based reviews. Tap on the Buy Now with 1-Click icon to make a purchase using the credit card, shipping, and account information details that you have on file with Amazon.com. This app is also great for doing quick price comparisons when shopping at retail stores.
- City Mapper (Free) - Anytime you’re visiting a major city, like New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, or Boston (as well as many cities around the world), use this app to easily navigate your way using the mass transit system. This app must be initially set up via your iPhone. Then, it’s easy to enter a starting point and destination in order to receive detailed directions related to the fastest and most convenient ways to get around the selected city. The app will tell you which trains and/or busses to take, their schedule, and the anticipated travel time. When applicable, options for walking, driving, or taking a taxi are also provided. Shown in Figure 4, this app is ideal for commuters, as well as people visiting an unfamiliar city.
- CNN (Free) - Read breaking news headlines, and view related photos right on your watch’s display. Choose from a dozen news categories, to view only the headlines of interest to you. In some cases, video news reports can be streamed directly to your watch for viewing.
- NY Times (Free with In-App Purchases) - Read news headlines and access articles from the New York Times directly from your Apple Watch. As you’re scanning headlines, tap on the Save for Later icon to save content to be read on your smartphone, tablet, or computer screen later.
- SPG: Starwood Hotels & Resorts (Free) - Anytime you stay at one of 1,200+ participating Starwood hotels (which include many Sheratons, W Hotels, and Westin Hotels, for example), this app allows you to remotely check into your room without ever needing to visit the hotel’s front desk, and then use your Apple Watch as your room key to unlock and lock the door. Other app tools help you find nearby hotels, view your Starpoints balance, and manage other aspects of your hotel stay.
- Starbucks (Free) - For those addicted to caffeine, or who make visiting a Starbucks a part of their daily routine, this app (shown in Figure 5) will help you find the closest location (including those with a drive thru), view store hours, manage your rewards card, and pay for your purchases (using your Starbucks Pre-Paid Card).
- Target (Free) - Your retail shopping experience will never be the same once you start using your Apple Watch. This app allows you to compile a detailed shopping list from home or while on the go, find the closest Target store, view its hours of operation, see details about sales, and then helps you navigate through any Target store to quickly locate the items on your list. Of course, you can also use Apple Pay via your watch to pay for your purchases.
- Twitter (Free) - Manage your Twitter account directly from your Apple Watch. View your Timeline (shown in Figure 6), compose tweets using your voice, and publish them online with ease. This app works in conjunction with the official Twitter app for iPhone. If, however, you use the optional Twitterific 5 app, it too is compatible with Apple Watch.
- Uber (Free) - Instead of relying on taxis, Uber offers a lower cost alternative that is entirely managed from your smartphone. The ability to request a car, see when it will arrive at your pickup location, and then pay for your ride are among the tasks that can now be handled from your Apple Watch, once you’ve set up an Uber account.
- Yelp (Free) - Based on your current location, quickly locate stores, businesses, points of interest, restaurants or services (like ATM machines, hospitals or gas stations) using this powerful app. Right from your watch (shown in Figure 7), search for listings based on categories, like Restaurants, Bars, Coffee & Tea, plus view menus, ratings, hours of operation, and other information, Take advantage of Yelp in your home city, or rely on it while traveling to help you find the best restaurants, businesses, and activities, for example.
Figure 3 Find and purchase products from Amazon.com, directly from the Apple Watch
Figure 4 Navigate a city’s mass transit system using your Apple Watch
Figure 5 The Starbucks app running on the Apple Watch
Figure 6 The Twitter app running on the Apple Watch
Figure 7 The Yelp app running on the Apple Watch