Developing i-mode Content
When you create document for i-mode, the devices that will access your content are mobile phone handsets, smart communicators, and portable digital assistants (PDAs). You should know that there are some hardware restrictions for these devices, as compared to your desktop computer. Handsets and PDAs are getting more powerful all the time, but if we look at the state of the current crop, from the hardware point of view, the main characteristics of the target devices are the following:
Small Memory Size
- Usually 128512Kbytes RAM and 512K1Mbytes ROM.
Low Power CPU
- Generally 515 MIPS class CPU for embedded systems.
Reduced Display Size
- Range from 30X50 pixels to 100X150 pixels.
Restricted Color Display
- Range from black and white to 8- or 16-bit color.
Limited Fonts and Text Size
- Often a single font face with limited styles and sizes.
Restricted Input Method
- Handsets include several softkey buttons for navigation and number-pad buttons (09, * and #) for input.