Use Reading Aids
The Play Books app contains many options for enhancing your e-book experience, including changing background color, font size, jumping to locations within the book, and organizing your book titles.
- Open the Play Books app as described earlier in this chapter.
- Tap the Google Play Books icon on the menu bar.
- Tap My Library.
- Swipe down the My Library page if necessary. and then open the book by tapping the book cover image.
- Tap the right side of the book page to progress to the next page. Tap the left side of the page to revisit the previous page. You can also flick left or right to turn pages.
Go to a page with text, and then tap the middle of the screen to access reading aid controls. The page appears with the book title and menu options at the top of the screen, and a slider bar that shows where you are in the book at the bottom of the screen (see Figure 7).
Figure 7 Four reading aid menu icons appear in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Tap the Contents icon to access the table of contents for the book. You can jump to a chapter by tapping its title in the contents.
- Tap About This Book to read an overview of the book.
- Close the Chapters list by tapping the Back touch button.
- Tap the Search icon to search for text in the book.
- Type the search term(s) in the Search in Book field.
- Tap the Search button in the keyboard.
- View all the results and the page number on which each result appears by swiping up and down in the list.
- View the page that contains your desired passage by tapping the entry in the list.
- The search term(s) appear highlighted on the screen.
- Return to the previous page in the book that contains the search term(s) on that page by tapping the left arrow icon.
- Go to the next page that contains the search term(s) by tapping the right arrow icon.
- Return to the search results list by tapping the Play Books icon on the menu bar. Close the search results list by tapping the Play Books icon again.
- View reading aid controls by tapping the Back touch button.
- Drag the slider to jump to different pages in the book.
- After you drag the slider to jump to a different location, you can tap the arrow to jump back to where you were last reading.
Tap the Style icon at the right side of the menu bar to open the style options window. as shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8 The style options window appears in the upper-right area of the screen.
- Tap to change the text and background color theme for the page. Your choices are Day (black text on a white background), Night (white text on a black background), and Sepia (black text on a beige background).
- Tap to change the overall font style for the book. Your choices are Default, Sans, Serif, Merriweather, Sorts Mill Goudy, and Vollkorn.
- Tap to change the overall text alignment for the book. Your choices are Default, Left, and Justify.
- Change the screen brightness in the Brightness slider. Set the brightness level to its default level by tapping the Auto check box.
- Tap the T– and T+ buttons to decrease and increase, respectively, the size of the book font on the screen.
- Tap the decrease button to decrease the size of the height between lines in the book.
- Tap the increase button to increase the size of the height between lines in the book.