- Navigating your Fire phone
- Use one-handed shortcuts
- The use of Firefly technology
- Use of the phone keyboard
- Configuring application settings
- Synchronizing content
Amazon has broadened its small electronics lineup and made its first Amazon phone as part of the “Fire” product line. The Amazon Fire phone is the first option for tens of millions of Kindle device users to have an integrated ecosystem between their tablet(s) and phone. This phone provides a great value when combined with the Amazon Prime membership and the offer of some new technology not available on other smartphones.
Let’s get to know more about your Amazon Fire phone. This chapter covers the device’s external features and how the Fire 3.5 operating system works.
Your Fire Phone’s External Features
The aesthetic design of the Fire phone is sleek and tall, with rounded edges that lend itself to easy one-handed use and slipping the phone in and out of your pocket. The outside of your Fire phone is what you’ll touch first, so let’s go over the external features including the buttons and cameras.
- Dynamic Perspective sensors: These sensors are located at the four corners of the front of your phone. This system of sensors responds to the way you hold, view, and move your phone—adding a 3-D depth to images within select apps.
- Power button: Press and hold this button for 2–3 seconds to turn device on or off. Press this button quickly once to lock the device and put it in standby mode.
- Earpiece: The earpiece enables you to hear calls and voice messages that are not on speakerphone.
- 2.1MP front-facing camera: This camera is useful for taking self-portraits or engaging in video chats.
- Headphone jack: The standard 3.5mm headphone jack enables you to plug in any industry standard headphone or headset.
Home button: Touch to go to the Home screen. The application you are using continues to run in the background. Use the Home button to toggle between Carousel view and the App Grid view while on the Home screen. Press and hold the Home button to use voice control.
- Microphone: This microphone captures your voice when you are on a call, recording voice messages, or giving voice commands.
- Micro USB 2.0 port: Use the supplied Micro-USB cable to charge your Fire phone or connect it to a computer to synchronize multimedia and other content.
Dual stereo speaker: This is where the audio is produced when in speakerphone mode.
- Volume Up/Down buttons: Control audio while playing music, watching a video, or talking on the phone.
- Camera/Firefly button: Press to quickly access the camera from any screen, including the lock screen. Press and hold this same button to access the Firefly window and quickly identify music, movies, products, and more.
SIM tray: Insert and extract a SIM card from this location.
- 13MP rear-facing camera: Take high-resolution photos with this camera, featuring a fast, 5-element wide aperture, and optical image stabilization. Also shoot 1080p video.
- LED flash: The flash helps to illuminate the surroundings when taking pictures in low light.