VCAP5-DCA Official Cert Guide: Network Administration
This chapter covers the following subjects:
- Implement and Manage Complex Virtual Networks—This section identifies common virtual switch settings and provides steps for configuring and managing standard and distributed virtual switches (vSwitches).
- Configure and Maintain VLANs, PVLANs, and VLAN Settings—This section provides steps for configuring VLANs and PVLANs and explains how to recognize potential use cases.
- Deploy and Maintain Scalable Networking—This section provides steps for configuring NIC Teaming policies and explains the corresponding physical switch settings.
- Administrator vSphere Distributed Switches—This section identifies settings and features that are specific to distributed vSwitches (vDS) and provides steps for implementing each feature.
This chapter covers a portion of the VCAP-DCA Exam objectives 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4.
This chapter is intended to provide you with the knowledge and skills to successfully perform administration of an enterprise network that includes virtual networks built using vSphere. It is also intended to ensure that you have the skills to successfully complete network configuration, troubleshooting, and management tasks that might be part of the VCAP5-DCA exam. As you read this chapter, take time to practice the steps provided until you are confident that you can perform such tasks rather quickly without any assistance. Some steps involve using the vSphere Client; others involve using the vCLI and PowerCLI.
“Do I Know This Already?” Quiz
The “Do I Know This Already?” quiz allows you to assess how well you already know the material in this chapter. Table 2-1 outlines the major headings in this chapter and the corresponding “Do I Know This Already?” quiz questions. You can find the answers in Appendix A, “Answers to the ‘Do I Know This Already?’ Quizzes.” Because of the advanced and hands-on nature of this particular exam, you should read the entire chapter and practice performing all the described tasks at least once, regardless of how well you do on this quiz. This quiz can be helpful to determine which topics will require the most effort during your preparation.
Table 2-1 “Do I Know This Already?” Foundation Topics Section-to-Question Mapping
Foundations Topics Section
Questions Covered in This Section
Implement and Manage Complex Virtual Networks
Configure and Maintain VLANs, PVLANs, and VLAN Settings
Deploy and Maintain Scalable Networking
Administer vSphere Distributed Switch Settings
Which method can be used to successfully enable SNMP Traps?
- Select Administration > vCenter Server Settings, and then check the Enable SNMP Traps check box.
- Use the vSphere Client to log on directly to an ESXi host, and then check the Enable SNMP Traps check box on the Configuration tab.
- Use the Set_AdvancedSetting PowerCLI cmdlet.
- Use the esxcli system snmp set command.
Which method can be used to successfully enable Direct Path I/O?
- From an ESXi host’s Configuration tab, check the Enable Direct Path I/O box.
- From an ESXi host’s Configuration tab, click Hardware > Advanced Settings.
- From vCenter Server, enable and configure Network I/O control.
- From vCenter Server, enable Direct Path I/O from Administration > Advanced Settings.
Which method can be used to assign VLAN tagging on a standard vSwitch (vSS) port group?
- Use the Set-Vlan cmdlet on an object variable that represents a vSS port group.
- Select a vSS, choose Edit, and enter a VLAN number to assign to the vSwitch.
- Use the esxcli network vswitch standard portgroup set command.
- Select a vSS port group, select Edit, and select a VLAN tagging method.
Which method can be used to configure the VLAN settings of a vDS port group where a Wireshark VM will be used to inspect network packets to and from all other VMs connected to all other port groups and VLANs on the same vDS?
- Set the VLAN on the port group to 4096.
- Set the VLAN Type to VLAN Trunking.
- Set the VLAN Type to Promiscuous.
- Set the VLAN Type to PVLAN.
Which method can be used to connect a vSS port group to two uplink ports that are configured with EtherChannel?
- Change the Load Balancing Policy to Route based on the originating port ID on the vSS.
- Change the Load Balancing Policy to Route based on the originating virtual switch port ID on the vSS port group.
- Change the Load Balancing Policy to Route based on Physical NIC Load on the vSS port group.
- Change the Load Balancing Policy to Route based on IP Hash on the vSS.
Which method can be used to configure a port group to support Microsoft Load Balancing unicast mode?
- Set Notify Switches to No.
- Set Load Balancing Policy to Route based on IP Hash.
- Set VLAN to 4095.
- Set Beacon Probing to Link Status Only.
Which method can be used to create user-defined custom network resource pools?
- On the properties page of a distributed switch, check the Enable Network Resource Pools box. Then use the Create Network Resource Pool link.
- Use the New-ResourcePool cmdlet to create the pool, and use the Set-ResourcePool cmdlet to set the pool type to Network.
- On the Resource Allocation tab, check the Enable Network IO Control box. Select the New Network Resource pool link.
- On the Resource Pools tab, click the Create Network Resource Pool link.
Which of the following summarizes the steps that should be followed to allow a Wireshark VM connected to a vDS to inspect packets to and from just one other specific VM on the same vDS?
- Set VLAN Type to Trunking, and then enable Promiscuous Mode.
- Configure Port Mirroring.
- Edit the settings of the monitored VM and configure port replication.
- Configure NetFlow.