Managing Your Inbox
Your inbox is the focal point for all your direct communication on LinkedIn.
Preview Your Inbox
LinkedIn makes it easy to preview what’s new in your inbox from anywhere on its site.
- Pause over the Inbox button on the navigation bar.
- LinkedIn displays a list of your most recent invitations and messages.
- Click an invitation to view the sender’s profile.
Pause over an invitation to accept or ignore it.
- Click a message to open it.
Pause over a message to reply to it or delete it.
View Messages in Your Inbox
The default view of your inbox is the Messages tab, which displays all the messages you’ve received. If you have a lot of inbox messages, you can filter what displays: only unread messages, flagged messages, InMails, recommendations, introductions, profiles, jobs, or blocked messages. By default, LinkedIn displays your messages in order from newest to oldest.
Click the Inbox button on the navigation bar.
- View a message by clicking its subject line.
Click the All Messages link and choose one of the available options from the drop-down menu to filter your messages by topic.
- By default, LinkedIn displays your messages in order from newest to oldest. To reverse this order, click the Newest link and select Oldest.
- Click the Flag icon, which acts as a toggle, to flag or unflag a message for follow-up.
Click the Report Spam icon to notify LinkedIn of a spam message.
Reply to a Message
In addition to replying to messages from the inbox preview, you can send replies directly from the inbox.
Click the Reply link below the message to which you want to reply.
- Enter your response in the text box.
- Select the Send Me a Copy check box if you want LinkedIn to email you a copy of your message.
Click the Send Message button.
It’s a good idea to archive old or resolved messages to keep your inbox focused on your current action items. When you archive a message, LinkedIn moves it the Archived folder.
- Click the Archive link below the message you want to archive.
- To archive multiple messages, select the check boxes to their left and click the Archive button.
Click the Archived tab to view archived messages.
Mark and Unmark Messages as Read
LinkedIn marks messages in your inbox as read or unread so that you can keep track of what needs your attention. By default, new messages appear in bold text to signify that you haven’t read them (unread status). After you read a message, the message no longer is boldfaced in your inbox (read status). You can change the status of messages manually if you prefer.
- Select the check box to the left of the messages whose read status you want to change.
- Click the Mark Read button to change the message status to read.
Click the Mark Unread button to change the message status to unread.
You can delete unwanted messages from your inbox and move them to your Trash folder. In this folder, you can choose to empty your trash, undelete a message you deleted by mistake, or delete messages permanently.
- Click the Delete link below a message you want to delete.
- To delete multiple messages, select the check boxes to their left and click the Delete button.
Click the Trash tab to view deleted messages.
- Click the Undelete link below a message you want to undelete. LinkedIn returns it to your inbox.
Click the Delete Permanently link below a message you want to delete permanently.
Click the Empty Trash button to delete all messages permanently.