- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Using the Ribbon
- Choosing Commands
- Opening and Viewing This PC
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Sorting and Grouping Files
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folders
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Working with Personal Folders
File Explorer comes with a personal folder that stores your most frequently used folders in one location. The personal folder appears in File Explorer with the name of the person logged on to the PC computer. The personal folder only contains files and folders associated with a user account and are unique for each user. The personal folder includes a variety of folders: Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Saved Games, Searches, and SkyDrive (New!). You can access these folders using the personal folder from File Explorer under Desktop. The Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos folders are included in the Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos libraries respectively, so you can also access them by name in File Explorer.
View and Open a Personal Folder
- In the desktop, click or tap the File Explorer button on the taskbar.
- Click or tap the Desktop in the Navigation pane.
- Double-click or double-tap the folder with the user account’s name to open it.
Double-click or double-tap a folder to open it.
- When you’re done, click or tap the Close button.