- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Using the Ribbon
- Choosing Commands
- Opening and Viewing This PC
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Sorting and Grouping Files
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folders
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Changing Search Options
When you perform a search for files or folders, File Explorer uses the search options to help customize the search results. You can specify whether you want to search for file names and content or just for file names and whether to include subfolders. For non-indexed searches, you can set options to include system directories or compressed files (ZIP, CAB...), or always search file names and contents. The search options are available in the Folder Options dialog box under the Search tab.
Change Search Options
- In the desktop, click or tap the File Explorer button on the taskbar.
- Click or tap the Options button on the View tab, and then click or tap Folder and search options.
- Click or tap the Search tab.
Select or clear the check boxes under How to search:
- Don’t use the index when searching in file folders for system files (searches might take longer).
Select or clear the check boxes under When searching non-indexed locations:
- Include system directories.
- Include compressed files (ZIP, CAB, ...)
- Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes)
Click or tap OK.