- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Using the Ribbon
- Choosing Commands
- Opening and Viewing This PC
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Sorting and Grouping Files
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folders
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Organizing Files by Headings
In Explorer windows, files and folders appear in lists with headings at the top in Details view. You can use the headings to change how files are displayed in the window. You can use filtering and sorting to display the files and folders you want. Filtering displays only files and folders with the properties you select by heading type. For example, the A - H filter for file and folder names displays only files and folder that start with A - H. Sorting displays the files and folders in ascending or descending order by heading type. For example, the sort by name displays files and folders from A to Z or Z to A. You can apply a filter and sort a column to achieve the results you want.
Organize Files Using Filtering or Sorting
- In the desktop, click or tap the File Explorer button on the taskbar.
- Open the folder that contains the files you want to sort or filter.
- Click or tap Details on the View tab, or click or tap the Details button.
- To sort files by headings, click or tap the heading title you want to sort by. An arrow in the middle of the heading indicates the sort direction, ascending and descending.
- Point to the heading you want to filter by.
- Click or tap the arrow to the right of the heading you want to filter by.
- Select the property check boxes you want to filter by.
Click or tap in a blank area to close the search menu.
A check mark replaces the arrow to indicates a filter is in place.
- To cancel the search, you can also press Esc.