- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Using the Ribbon
- Choosing Commands
- Opening and Viewing This PC
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Sorting and Grouping Files
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folders
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Navigating Between Folders
The Address bar appears at the top of every Explorer window and displays the current location on your PC computer, skyDrive, or network. The location appears as a series of links separated by arrows. You can change your current location by either typing a new location—even a web address on the Internet—or selecting one using the Address bar. You can also use the Back and Forward buttons to the left of the Address bar to switch between locations you have previously visited.
Navigate to a Location
Click or tap a location. Use either of the following methods:
- Visible folder location. To go directly to a location visible in the Address bar, click or tap the location name.
- Visible subfolder location. To go to a subfolder of a location visible in the Address bar, click or tap the arrow to the right, and then click or tap the location name.
Type a location. Click or tap a blank space (to the right of text) in the Address bar, and then type the complete folder name or path to the location, and then press Enter.
You can type common locations and then press Enter. The common locations include: This PC, Contacts, Control Panel, Documents, Favorites, Games, Music, Pictures, Recycle Bin, and Videos.
If you type a web address (URL) in the Address bar, the Explorer window switches to Internet Explorer.