Viewing and Using Apps
The default Start screen displays a variety of Windows 8 apps that you can scroll through to view what’s available. However, most apps and programs do not appear on the Start screen. To view other apps installed on your computer, including Windows desktop accessories such as Paint and Notepad or Windows system apps such as File Explorer, switch to the Apps screen. The Apps screen lists your apps alphabetically or by other criteria you select.
- Move your mouse to display the Apps (down-arrow) button and click it, or swipe upward from below the program icons (touchscreen).
The Apps screen opens; use the scrollbar at the bottom of the screen, or flick the screen to the right or left (touchscreen) to scroll through your apps.
- To locate a particular app, enter the name.
- To open an app, click or tap it.
- To view more controls for an app, right-click (mouse) or press and hold (touchscreen) the app name to open the Apps bar.
- Open to select other sort options.
To return to the Start screen, move the mouse and click the up-arrow button, or flick the screen downward (touchscreen).