- Finding Information Using Spotlight
- Finding Information in the Spotlight Window
- Filtering Spotlight Results
- Grouping and Sorting Spotlight Results
- Working with Spotlight Results
- Setting Spotlight Preferences
- Searching for Files Using the Find Window
- Searching for Hard to Find Information
- Working with Find Window Results
- Creating and Using Smart Folders
- Getting Help While You Work
- Getting Help Using Spotlight
Grouping and Sorting Spotlight Results
After you perform a search using the Spotlight window, you can use the Arrange By button, Arranged By submenu on the Action menu or the column header button in List or Cover Flow view to group and sort the results of your search to make it easier to find what you’re looking for. Clicking on one of the column header buttons—such as Name, Kind, or Last Opened (default options)—in the search result window in either List or Cover Flow view, sorts the files and folders by the type of information listed in the column. If the columns are not organized in the order you want, you can use the mouse to quickly drag a column header to rearrange them.
Group and Sort Spotlight Results
Press Option++Space bar or click Show All in Finder on the Spotlight menu to open the Spotlight window, and then perform or narrow a search.
The Spotlight window displays the results of your search by category.
- Click the List View or Cover Flow button on the toolbar to display the search results in list form.
Click a column header name (default shown) to sort the file and folder in ascending or descending order:
- Name. List in alphabetical order by element name.
- Kind. List by kind of item, including applications, documents, or images.
- Last Opened. List by the date you last opened it.
- To change the view options, click the Action button, click Show View Options, select options, and then click the Close button.
When you’re done, click the Close button.