- Finding Information Using Spotlight
- Finding Information in the Spotlight Window
- Filtering Spotlight Results
- Grouping and Sorting Spotlight Results
- Working with Spotlight Results
- Setting Spotlight Preferences
- Searching for Files Using the Find Window
- Searching for Hard to Find Information
- Working with Find Window Results
- Creating and Using Smart Folders
- Getting Help While You Work
- Getting Help Using Spotlight
Getting Help Using Spotlight
In addition to using Spotlight to find files and other information on your computer, you can also use Spotlight to quickly find help information. When you click the Help menu, the Spotlight Search field appears at the top, where you can type the help information you want to find and display. You can access help from the Help menu in the Finder as well as many other OS X applications, such as Safari and Messages. When you select a help topic from the Help menu, the Help window appears displaying the topic. If you want to display all the related help topics, click Show All Help Results. A complete search results appears, where you can double-click a topic to display it. If available, menu items appear on the Help menu, where you can select it to display an blue arrow pointing to the location of the menu.
Get Help Using Spotlight
- Click the Help menu.
In the Spotlight Search field, start to type what you want to find. To find a specific phrase, place quotes around it. For example, “Preferences”
As you type, a menu begins to display a list of everything Spotlight can find in Help to match what you’ve typed so far. As you continue to type, the list changes.
On the Help menu, select one of the following options:
- Display a Help Topic. Click the Help topic item or use the arrow keys to scroll down the list, and then press Return to open the Help window.
- Show All Help Results. Click Show All Help Results to display the search results for help topics, and then double-click the topic you want to open the Help window.
- Display a Menu Item. Point to the Menu item name to display a blue arrow pointing to the location of the menu item.
Click the Close button to quit Help.