- Understanding Vector and Raster Graphics
- Understanding Paths
- Selecting a Drawing Mode
- Creating Pixel Aligned Objects
- Creating Rectangles and Ellipses
- Creating Polygons and Stars
- Creating Line Segments
- Creating Arcs and Spirals
- Creating Grids
- Using the Shape Builder Tool
- Creating Perspective Objects
- Working with Perspective Objects
- Customizing a Perspective Grid
- Understanding Selections
- Using the Selection Tool
- Using the Direct Selection Tool
- Using the Lasso Tool
- Using the Magic Wand Tool
- Selecting and Grouping Objects
- Selecting Similar Objects
- Saving and Editing Selections
- Moving Objects
- Duplicating Objects
- Aligning and Distributing Objects
- Transforming Objects
- Using the Free Transform Tool
- Rotating and Scaling Objects
- Reflecting and Shearing Objects
- Applying Multiple Transformations
- Reshaping Objects with Envelopes
- Using the Transform Panel
Using the Selection Tool
There are several ways to select objects in Illustrator. With the Selection tool, you can select an object’s stroke or fill. You can only select an object using the fill if the path appears in Preview mode, and the Object Selection by Path Only check box is deselected in Selection & Anchor Display preferences. After you select one or more objects, you can add or subtract objects to/from the selection. In addition, you can use the Selection tool and drag a marquee to select parts of the object or drag over a portion of it to create a selection rectangle.
Select an Object with the Selection Tool
Click the Selection tool on the Tools panel.
The pointer becomes an arrow.
Position the arrow on the edge of the object, and then click it.
- You can also drag a marquee across all or part of the object to select the entire path.
- If the path has a color fill, appears in Preview mode, and the Object Selection by Path Only check box is deselected in Selection & Anchor Display preferences, you can also click the fill to select the object.
To add or subtract objects from the selection, hold down the Shift key, and then click unselected objects to add or click selected objects to subtract them from the selection.