- Using the Pages Panel
- Inserting Pages
- Navigating Pages
- Changing the Page Size
- Deleting Pages
- Moving Pages
- Working with Page Spreads
- Rotating Page Spreads
- Creating Master Pages
- Working with Master Pages
- Working with Page Numbers and Sections
- Working with Chapter Numbers
- Creating and Using Text Variables
- Creating a Book
- Managing Books
- Creating a Table of Contents
- Starting an Index
- Creating an Index Entry
- Creating an Index
- Managing an Index
Working with Master Pages
When you apply a master page to a document page, all the elements on the master page are attached and displayed on the document page. A master page can also contain a single (only one) primary text frame, which you can use to flow or type your text on all document pages. When you only want a selected number of elements from the master page on a document page, you can override or detach the elements you want. Overriding a master puts a copy of the master element on the document page and keeps the link, where you can make changes to it. The changes made on the document page don’t affect the master; however, any changes to the same element on the master (separate from the document page) still appear from the master on the document page. Detaching a master overrides a master element and removes the link. Instead of overriding or detaching master elements, you have the option of hiding them.
Apply a Master Page to a Document Page
Select the Pages panel.
- Click the Window menu, and then click Pages.
- Drag a master page or spread from the master page area to a page or spread in the document page area.
To apply a master to multiple pages, select the pages in the document page area, and then Alt (Win) or Option (Mac) the master page you want to apply.
- You can also click the Options button, click Apply Master To Pages, specify the options you want, and then click OK.
Work with Master Pages
- Delete Masters. In the Pages panel, drag the master page to the Delete Selected Pages button on the panel.
- Copy Masters. In the Pages panel, drag the master page to the Create New Page button on the panel.
- Create Primary Text Frame. In the Pages panel, double-click a master page, create and select a text frame, and then click the Text icon on the text frame. Click the icon again to disable it.
- Hide Master Elements. In the Pages panel, select the document page, click the Options button, point to Master Pages, and then click Hide Master Items.
Override a Master Element. In the Pages panel, click the Options button, point to Master Pages, and then click Allow Master Item Overrides On Selection to select it. On a document page, Ctrl+Shift+ click (Win) or +Shift+click (Mac) an element.
- You can also click the document page in the Pages panel, click the Options button, and then click Override All Master Page Items.
- Remove All Local Overrides. In the Pages panel, click the Options button, point to Master Pages, and then click Remove All Local Overrides.
- Detach All Objects From Master. In the Pages panel, click the Options button, and then click Detach All Objects From Master.
- Unassign Master. In the Pages panel, drag the [None] master from the master page area to a page in the document page area.
All master elements are no longer attached to the document page.