- Linux: The Choice of Network Engineers
- Is Your Home System at Risk?
- What's Safe?
- Is Your Home System a Server?
- Are Broadband Connections More Vulnerable?
- What Ports are Open?
- Using Netstat to List Ports
- Is Windows File Sharing a Risk?
- Using a Port Scan to Test Your System
- Checking for Windows NetBIOS Risks
If you are using a single PC at home and it is running Windows 95/98 or MacOS without any server software on it, then there is little to worry about. The system is not vulnerable to cracking. The only vulnerability is a denial-of-service attack. Such an attack must be dealt with by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and cannot be prevented by a firewall.