- Understanding Theme Differences Between WordPress.org and WordPress.com
- Exploring WordPress Theme Layout Options
- Exploring WordPress Theme Pricing Options
- Five Steps to Choosing the Perfect Theme
- Searching for and Activating a Theme (WordPress.com)
- Searching for and Installing a Theme (WordPress.org)
- Uploading a Theme (WordPress.org)
- Using Live Preview
- Activating a Different Theme
- Customizing Your Theme
- Other Theme Customization Options (WordPress.org)
- Deleting a Theme (WordPress.org)
Searching for and Installing a Theme (WordPress.org)
If you use self-hosted WordPress, one way to find a new theme is to search the themes directory on the Install Themes screen.
Search for and Install a Theme
- From the main navigation menu, select Appearance, Themes.
- Click the Install Themes tab.
- Select the check boxes next to the theme features you want. You can filter by color, number of columns, sidebar location, width, or other features, such as only themes that support custom headers, custom menus, or featured images.
- Click the Find Themes button at the bottom of the screen. WordPress displays thumbnails of all themes that match your criteria.
- Click the Preview link to see a theme in more detail. This shows you a preview of the theme with the standard WordPress theme tester content. When you’re finished previewing, click the Close button (x) in the upper-left corner of the preview window to close it and return to your list of matching themes.
- Click the Details link to view more information about a theme, including its version number and user rating.
- Click the Install Now link to install a theme on your site.
- Click the Live Preview link to preview the theme with your own content. See “Using Live Preview” later in this chapter for more information.
- Click the Activate link if you want to activate this theme now. (You can always activate later.)
When you activate a new theme, your previous theme is deactivated. Don’t worry, though. WordPress doesn’t delete the old theme (unless you do so manually), and you can reactivate it at any time.