- Understanding Formulas
- Creating a Simple Formula
- Creating a Formula Using Formula AutoComplete
- Editing a Formula
- Understanding Cell Referencing
- Using Absolute Cell References
- Using Mixed Cell References
- Using 3-D Cell References
- Naming Cells and Ranges
- Entering Named Cells and Ranges
- Managing Names
- Simplifying a Formula with Ranges
- Displaying Calculations with the Status Bar
- Calculating Totals with AutoSum
- Calculating Totals with Quick Analysis
- Performing One Time Calculations
- Converting Formulas and Values
- Correcting Calculation Errors
- Correcting Formulas
- Auditing a Worksheet
- Locating Circular References
- Performing Calculations Using Functions
- Creating Functions
- Creating Functions Using the Library
- Calculating Multiple Results
- Using Nested Functions
- Using Constants and Functions in Names
Calculating Totals with AutoSum
A range of cells can easily be added using the AutoSum button on the Formulas tab. AutoSum suggests the range to sum, although this range can be changed if it’s incorrect. AutoSum looks at all of the data that is consecutively entered, and when it sees an empty cell, that is where the AutoSum stops. You can also use AutoSum to perform other calculations, such as AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, and MIN. Subtotals can be calculated for data ranges using the Subtotals dialog box. This dialog box lets you select where the subtotals occur, as well as the function type.
Calculate Totals with AutoSum
Click the cell where you want to display the calculation.
- To sum with a range of numbers, select the range of cells you want.
- To sum with only some of the numbers in a range, select the cells or range you want using the Ctrl key. Excel inserts the sum in the first empty cell below the selected range.
- To sum both across and down a table of number, select the range of cells with an additional column to the right and a row at the bottom.
- Click the Formulas tab.
Click the AutoSum button.
- Click the Enter button on the formula bar, or press Enter.
Calculate with Extended AutoSum
- Click the cell where you want to display the calculation.
- Click the Formulas tab.
- Click the AutoSum button arrow.
- Click the function you want to use, such as AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, and MIN.
- Press Enter to accept the range selected.
Calculate Subtotals and Totals
- Click anywhere within the data to be subtotaled.
- Click the Data tab.
- Click the Subtotal button.
- If a message box appears, read the message, and then click the appropriate button.
- Select the appropriate check boxes to specify how the data is subtotaled.
- Click OK.