Now that you’ve loaded up your PC with a few photos, you’re ready to start viewing them, either by scrolling through them manually or by playing a slideshow. Windows keeps your photos in a special storage location called the Pictures library, which usually consists of several folders that Windows created when you imported photos from a digital camera or memory card. There’s also a folder called Webcam that contains photos you’ve taken with the Camera app.
Looking Through Your Photos
To get started, select the Start screen’s Photos tile to open the Photos app and then select the Pictures Library. This opens the Pictures Library, which includes a tile for each folder within your Pictures library as well as for any individual photos that aren’t part of any album (see Figure 7.6).
Figure 7.6. The Photos app displays a tile for each folder in the Pictures library.
Select the folder you want to view and then double-click a photo to open it up full screen. From here, you navigate the photos like so:
- View the next photo—Move the mouse pointer over the current photo and then click the right arrow or press the right-arrow key on the keyboard; on a tablet, slide the current photo off to the left.
- View the previous photo—Move the mouse pointer over the current photo and then click the left arrow or press the left-arrow key on the keyboard; on a tablet, slide the current photo off to the right.
- Jump to any photo—Press Esc to return to the album, use the scrollbar to locate the photo (or swipe your touchscreen), and then double-click the photo.
Watching a Photo Slideshow
Viewing photos one at a time by hand gives you control over what you view and how long you view it, but it’s a bit of work. If you feel like making your PC do some of the work for a change, follow these steps to see a slideshow of the photos in a Pictures library folder:
- Run the Photos app and open the Pictures library.
- Open the folder you want to view.
(Optional) To start the slideshow with a particular photo, double-click that photo to open it.
- Right-click the screen (or swipe up from the bottom edge of your touchscreen) and then select Slide Show. Photos begins running through the photos, with each photo displayed onscreen for about three seconds.
- When you’re done, press Esc to stop the slide show. Press Esc again to exit the current image.