When you first turn on your Kindle Fire, you see the lock screen. This screen is usually an ad for a book or other form of Amazon content. Swipe your finger across the lock from right to left to unlock the device. You then go through a series of steps that get you started using your new device.
Connecting to a Listed Wi-Fi Network
To access content on your Kindle Fire, you need to connect to a Wi-Fi network, which is where the initial setup process begins.
- Tap the name of your Wi-Fi network.
- Enter the password for your Wi-Fi network.
- Tap Connect.
Connecting to an Unlisted Wi-Fi Network
If your network’s name isn’t listed, you might need to manually enter the information necessary to connect to your Wi-Fi network.
- Tap Enter Other Wi-Fi Network at the bottom of the network list.
- Enter the name (SSID) of your network.
- Tap the type of security that your network uses.
- Enter the password for your network, if necessary.
- Tap Save.
If you are fortunate enough to own a Kindle Fire HD 8.9-inch 4G, you can find instructions for setting up your 4G service at the website that accompanies this book. The URL for this site is www.informit.com/title/9780789750716.
Setting Your Time Zone
Your Kindle Fire doesn’t have a GPS, so it can’t determine your time zone automatically. You need to select your time zone during setup.
- Tap your time zone.
- If your time zone isn’t listed, tap Select Another Time Zone to see a list of additional time zones.
- Tap Continue.
Registering with Amazon
Your Kindle Fire must be registered with an Amazon account so that you can access content. If your Kindle is not already registered to your Amazon account, you need to do that next.
- Enter your e-mail address that is registered with Amazon.
- Enter your Amazon password.
- Tap Register.
- Your Kindle confirms that it is now registered to your account. Tap Continue.
Connecting to Facebook and Twitter
Your Kindle Fire can help you stay connected to your social networks. If you enter your username and passwords during the initial setup, the Facebook and Twitter apps are automatically configured for you.
- Select Connect Your Facebook Account.
- Enter your e-mail address.
- Enter your password.
- Tap connect.
- Repeat steps 1–4 for Twitter. Tap Get Started Now when you’re done.
You’ve reached the end of the guided setup. Congratulations! After you complete the initial setup, the Kindle Fire guides you through a series of screens that describe some of the basic usability features of the tablet. And now you’re ready to play.