Creating Pie Charts
The third major type of chart is the pie chart. Pages allows you create 2D or 3D pie charts. You can make simple ones, or use colors and textures to create what almost seem like physical objects. Pie charts are great for taking a whole amount, like a budget or population, and visually showing the divisions within it.
- Open a blank page layout document.
- Click the Charts button on the toolbar.
Select the 2D pie chart.
- You get a basic pie chart in the middle of your page.
- Use the same Chart Data Editor to change the values in the chart.
Pie charts only use the first row of data.
- Bring up the Inspector window.
- Go to the Chart inspector.
- You can remove or alter the appearance of the labels. The Position setting determines how far from the center of the pie the label appears.
You can add the column names for each item in the pie chart.
- Choose only one slice of the pie by clicking it.
- Move that slice away from the center of the pie to emphasize it.
- Add a shadow under just that slice, or the entire pie chart.