Who Uses IMS?
Over 90% of the top worldwide companies in the following industries use IMS to run their daily operations:
- High technology
IMS remains a viable, even unmatched, platform to implement very large online transaction processing (OLTP) systems and, in combination with web application server technology, is the foundation for a new generation of web-based, high-workload applications.
The following quote describes how one analyst1 views IMS:
- IMS is not “old technology,” but it is time-tested technology. Its platform, the mainframe, is far from obsolete and in many ways is out in front regarding virtualization and consolidation capabilities that new technologies are still catching up to. For the vast majority of IMS users, the emphasis should be on “How can I expand my use of IMS to take maximum advantage of its potential?”
Here are some interesting facts about how IMS is used.
- IMS manages a large percentage of the world’s corporate data.
- Over 90% of top Fortune 1000 companies use IMS.
- IMS manages over 15 million gigabytes of production data.
- More than $3 trillion per day is transferred through IMS by one customer.
- IMS processes over 50 billion transactions per day.
- IMS serves more than 200 million users every day.
- IMS processes over 180 million transactions per day on a single IMS system via IMS Connect for one customer.
- IMS manages over 375 million accounts for one customer.