Scrolling Through the Apps
To scroll to the right and see all the tiles that are available on the Start screen, try one of these techniques:
- Touch the screen and swipe it to the left.
- Move the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen and click the > icon in the far-right side of the bar (see Figure 2). Alternatively, you can click one of the bar segments to move to a corresponding position in the apps list.
- Use the arrow keys to move through the various apps, scrolling the screen to the right.
Figure 2 You can use the mouse to scroll through the apps by clicking the bar at the bottom of the screen.
Launching an App
To display one of the apps shown in a live tile, you can do one of the following things:
- Tap the live tile to display the app.
- Position the mouse pointer on the live tile and click the mouse button.
- Use the arrow keys to move the highlight to the app you want and press Enter, or simply begin typing the name of the app. Yes, is does seem odd not to click in a search box and begin typing, but Windows 8 automatically recognizes the characters you begin to type, and it searches for the app you're seeking. For example, if I type twe (see Figure 3), the Search Apps panel pops up immediately, and apps that fit the letters I typed appear in the left side of the screen.
Figure 3 Simply begin typing the name of the app you want to use, and Windows 8 locates it instantly.