Viewing Your Notifications
Notifications alert you to important activities on Google+. You receive a notification whenever someone:
- Invites you to Google+
- Adds you to one of their Google+ circles
- Tags you in a photo
- Shares a post with you directly
- Adds a comment to one of your posts
The Notifications button on the Google+ bar tells you how many unread notifications you have by highlighting this number in red. In Figure 7.3, for example, you have two unread notifications.
Figure 7.3 Your number of unread notifications is highlighted in red.
To view and react to your notifications, follow these steps:
Click the Notifications button in the upper-right corner of the Google+ bar (refer to Figure 7.2). Figure 7.4 shows some sample notifications. Google+ groups your notifications by type, such as notifications that let you know someone added you to a circle.
Figure 7.4 View your notifications by type.
Click the arrow to the right of a notification to view its detail menu, as shown in Figure 7.5. For example, you can view all the people who recently added you to a circle.
Figure 7.5 View the people associated with each notification type.
Take any of the following actions:
- Click someone’s name to open that person’s profile.
Pause your mouse over someone’s name to view a pop-up box with more information including a headline and the people you share in common, as shown in Figure 7.6.
Figure 7.6 View more information about someone in the pop-up box.
Pause your mouse over the Add to Circles button below the name of a person you want to add to a circle. In the pop-up box that opens (see Figure 7.7), select the checkbox next to the circle to which you want to add this person. Optionally, click the Create New Circle link to add this person to a new circle. If you’ve already added someone to a circle, the Add to Circles button is replaced with a button that displays the name of the circle this person belongs to.
Figure 7.7 Quickly add people to circles.
- Click the Hide link to hide someone from the Notifications menu. For example, you can hide someone you don’t know and don’t plan to add to one of your circles. However, if you later change your mind, click Undo, and they will no longer be hidden.
- Click the Block link to block someone from Google+. Blocking is a stronger action than hiding. When you block people on Google+, they will no longer be in any of your circles, their posts no longer display on your Incoming stream, and they can’t comment on your posts. The people you block are not aware that you have blocked them. See Lesson 6, “Viewing Your Google+ Stream,” for more information about the ramifications of blocking people.
From the Notifications detail menu, you can also do the following:
- Click the Back to Notifications link to return to the initial Notifications menu.
- Click the Older link or Newer link to move to older or newer notifications.
- Click the View All Circle Notifications link to open the Notifications page (see Figure 7.8) where you can view all your notifications in one place. Clicking the View All link on the initial Notifications menu also opens this page.
Figure 7.8 View all your notifications on one page.
To close the Notifications menu, click another part of the Google+ screen.