Using the Keyboard
GNOME Shell can be manipulated with the keyboard as well as the mouse, so here are some common keyboard commands to get you started.
- System (Windows) key: Switch between overview and desktop
- Alt+F1: Switch between overview and desktop
- Alt+F2: Pop up command dialog
- Alt+Tab: Cycle between windows
- Alt+Shift+Tab: Cycle in reverse direction in the window cycler
- Alt+`: Switch between windows of the same application in Alt+Tab
- Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R: Start and end screencast recording
- Ctrl+Alt+D: Show desktop and raise windows back
- Ctrl+Alt+Right/Left arrow: Switch between workspaces
- Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Right/Left arrow: Move the current window to a different workspace
If you need a quick and handy reference for the keyboard shortcuts, they can be found in the keyboard settings window, which can found by searching for keyboard in the overlay.