- Key #1: Your App Must Be Easy to Learn, Difficult to Master
- Key #2: Your App Must be 20MB or Smaller
- Key #3: Your App Must Have Broad Demographic Appeal
- Key #4: Your App Must Have Great Graphics, Music, and Sounds
- Key #5: Your App Must Get Top Rated Reviews!
Key #3: Your App Must Have Broad Demographic Appeal
I have found that nearly every game app that is in the top 10 or even top 25 has broad demographic appeal. This means that the app is played by children, teens, adults, males, and females. Angry Birds, Tiny Wings, Cut the Rope, and Fruit Ninja all have broad appeal across many age groups. Again, this doesn't mean your app can't do well if it's geared to teenage boys, but it won't be the runaway best seller having millions upon millions of downloads if your audience is focused narrowly on one age group.
People of all ages like puzzles and challenges, especially when they are awarded for successful completion of steps or goals. Being granted access to new levels of play or receiving coins or other "gifts" are great motivators for any demographic.