- May 28, 2004
- The Birth of Spyware
- How Can I Tell If I Have Spyware?
- How Do I Choose a Spyware Scanner?
- Sites to Avoid
- System Admin Information
- Detecting Spyware Processes In MS Windows-Based Machines
- Detecting Spyware Autostart Methods in MS Windows-based Machines
- Configuring Internet Explorer for Network Users
- Using a Hosts File to Block Spyware-Infected Hosts
- Spyware and Security Resources
Sites to Avoid
Free Porn Sites
Avoid these sites at all costs. There normally is a reason these are free; probably it's because you end up infected with a porn dialer.
Warez and Cracks
This is tricky, anyway; the webmasters who run these sites don't care too much about ethics. You will find that 95 percent of these sites have spyware embedded into their HTML code somewhere.
Mp3 Sites and P2P Software
These sites are well-known to be sources of spyware; many of the big-name P2P and file-sharing programs come bundled with spyware, so check on the Internet before installing these programs if you must use them.