- Installing Reporting Services
- Installing the Reporting Services Add-In for SharePoint
- Configuring the Reporting Services Add-In for SharePoint Integration
- Adding Content Types to a Document Library
- Best Practices
Adding Content Types to a Document Library
A Content Type in SharePoint is a collection of settings that describe a piece of content such as a document, task, contact, report, and so on. If you set up Reporting Services in SharePoint Integrated mode, you can then store reports, report models, and shared data sources in SharePoint document libraries. For a given document library, the appropriate content types for these artifacts must be added and the New Document menu customized to specify the types of documents that can be created when the New Document button is clicked. Follow these steps to add the appropriate Reporting Services content types to a document library and customize the New Document menu:
- Navigate to (or create) a document library and click the Library tab, as shown in Figure 3.9. (The Library tab is underneath Library Tools.)
Figure 3.9 Document library.
- Click Library Settings on the ribbon to display the Library Settings page, as shown in Figure 3.10.
Figure 3.10 Document library settings page.
- Click Advanced Settings to display the Advanced Settings page, as shown in Figure 3.11. (Only the relevant portion of the page is shown.)
Figure 3.11 Document library advanced settings page.
- Click Yes to allow management of content types (that is, to allow multiple content types in this document library).
- Click OK to return to the Library Settings page. Navigate to the Content Types, as shown in Figure 3.12.
Figure 3.12 Document library content types.
- Click Add from Existing Content Types to display the Select Site Content Types from, as shown in Figure 3.13.
Figure 3.13 Add content types.
- Select the Report Builder Model, Report Builder Report, and Report Data Source, as shown in Figure 3.13, and then click Add.
- Click OK to return to the library settings page.
- Navigate again to the Content Types and click Change New Button Order and Default Content Type, as shown in Figure 3.14.
Figure 3.14 The new button order and default content type.
- The Content Type Order form is displayed, as shown in Figure 3.15. Edit the Content Type Order, as shown in Figure 3.15.
Figure 3.15 Content type order.
- Click OK to return to the library settings page, and then navigate back to the home page for the document library (refer to Figure 3.9, earlier in this chapter).
- Click the Documents tab underneath Library Tools.
- Click New Document to display the drop-down menu, as shown in Figure 3.16.
Figure 3.16 New Document drop-down menu.
The drop-down menu shows Report Builder Report, Report Data Source, and Report Builder Model choices. Selecting Report Builder Report launches Report Builder, a user-friendly tool used to design a report. This completes the setup and configuration of Reporting Services in SharePoint Integrated mode. The steps required to create a data source and a report are covered in the End-to-End Solutions chapter later in the book.