To send a message to a 1st degree connection or group member, follow these steps:
- On the global navigation bar, select Compose Message from the Inbox drop-down menu. You can also send a message by clicking the Compose Message button from your Inbox.
- In the To field, start typing the name of your connection and wait for LinkedIn to find a match (see Figure 6.3).
Figure 6.3 Sending a direct message to one of your LinkedIn connections.
- Enter a subject for your message.
- Enter your message in the text box.
- If you're sending a message to multiple recipients and don't want to disclose this information, remove the check mark before the Allow Recipients to See Each Other's Names and Email Addresses check box (selected by default).
- To email yourself a copy of your message, select the Send Me a Copy check box. Your message already appears in your Sent folder by default.
- Click the Send Message button. LinkedIn sends your message to the recipient and notifies you that your message was sent.
Although clicking the Compose Message link is the primary way to send messages on LinkedIn, you can also send messages by clicking the Send a Message link in a profile, on your home page, or in search results.