- 1. Share Your Knowledge in Bits and Pieces. For Free
- 2. Answer Questions that Newbies or Even Advanced Industry Members Have
- 3. Communicate with and About Other People in Your Industry on Your Blog
- 4. Make Connections Between Your Industry and Allied Industries
- 5. Identify Early Trends
3. Communicate with and About Other People in Your Industry on Your Blog.
One of the best ways to build your professional reputation is to talk about other people more than you talk about yourself. That means write about ideas you find on other blogs and give them the credit.
"I was reading Erik Deckers' post last week, 'Success Isn't Just Showing Up, It's Sticking Around,' and it made me think…"
When someone does that for me, I feel proud and I want to return the favor. When it comes time for me to write a post, I'll write about something about your blog.
This does a few things: It introduces my readers to you, and vice versa. It contributes to the overall understanding of our industry. It can generate new ideas, and it might even lead to bigger and better opportunities for us both.