- Formatting Text
- Formatting Text for Emphasis
- Changing Character Spacing
- Selecting Text with Similar Formatting
- Finding and Replacing Formatting
- Finding and Replacing Custom Formatting
- Changing Paragraph Alignment
- Changing Line Spacing
- Displaying Rulers
- Setting Paragraph Tabs
- Setting Paragraph Indents
- Creating Bulleted and Numbered Lists
- Applying Borders and Shading
- Hiding Text
Word rulers do more than measure. The horizontal ruler above the document shows the length of the typing line and lets you quickly adjust left and right margins and indents, set tabs, and change column widths. The vertical ruler along the left edge of the document lets you adjust top and bottom margins and change table row heights. You can hide the rulers to get more room for your document. As you work with long documents, use the document map to jump to any heading in your document. Headings are in the left pane and documents in the right.
Show and Hide the Rulers
- Click the View tab.
- Select or clear the Ruler check box.
TIMESAVER Click the View Ruler button at the top of the vertical scroll bar.
- To view the horizontal ruler, click the Web Layout View or Draft View button.
- To view the horizontal and vertical rulers, click the Print Layout View button.