- Working with Files, Folders, and Disks
- Viewing Files and Folders
- Navigating Folders
- Working with Libraries
- Searching for Files
- Creating New Folders
- Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying Files
- Moving Files
- Deleting Files
- Working with Compressed Folders
- Copying Files to Another Computer
- Backing Up Your Important Files
Renaming Files and Folders
When you create a new file or folder, it helps to give it a name that somehow describes its contents. Sometimes, however, you might need to change a file’s name. Fortunately, Windows makes it relatively easy to rename an item.
To rename a file (or folder), follow these steps:
- Click the file or folder you want to rename.
- Click the Organize button and then select Rename from the pull-down menu (or just press the F2 key on your keyboard); this highlights the filename.
- Type a new name for your file or folder (which overwrites the current name) and press Enter.