Restoring a Disk Image
In the event that Windows stops working properly and you are unable to solve the problem by using System Restore or other measures, you can restore your computer to operation by restoring the system image and then restoring data files that were backed up after the latest system image backup.
There are two ways to begin this process:
- From the Backup and Restore menu. This method is recommended if you have not made a file backup recently, as you are given the opportunity to run a file backup before restoring the system image.
- By booting with the Windows 7 DVD or System Recovery disc and using the System Image Recovery option. Use this method if your system cannot start even after using Startup Repair and repair functions available from the Command Prompt, or if your hard disk has crashed and must be reformatted or has been replaced with a new unit.
In this example, we'll look at the process of using the System Recovery disc to perform a system image recovery:
- Restart the system with the System Recovery disc.
- Press a key to boot from the CD or DVD when prompted.
- Verify or select the correct keyboard input method on the opening System Recovery Options dialog.
- Click Next to continue.
- Choose the System Image Recovery option.
- Click Next to restore the latest system image backup (Figure 18). Otherwise, you can choose an earlier one.
- Choose the Format and Repartition disks option (arrow) to prepare an empty or new hard disk.
- Click Next to continue (Figure 19).
- Review your settings, and click Finish to restore your computer (Figure 20).
If you are restoring the image to a drive that still contains your installation, you might also be given the option to repair startup files. If you are restoring the image to a formatted or new drive, you will see a dialog similar to the one in Figure 17.
Figure 17 Starting the system image recovery option from the System Recovery Options or Windows 7 DVD.
Figure 18 Selecting an image to restore.
Figure 19 Selecting an image to restore.
Figure 20 Restoring the selected image.
After the restore process completes, you will be prompted to restore files from the latest file backup.